Your county attorney is the legal advisor and chief law officer for your county and is required by statute to:

  • Prosecute violations of state criminal laws and county ordinances;
  • Provide legal advice to the Board of Supervisors and county and township officers concerning county matters;
  • Represent and defend the state, county and its officers in officially related cases;
  • Recover money (debts, fines, penalties, child support, etc.) owing to the state, county or school district;
  • Represent the applicants for involuntary mental health commitments;
  • Represent the Department of Human Services in child in need of assistance cases;
  • Represent the State of Iowa in all juvenile delinquency and truancy proceedings; and
  • Register crime victims and notify victims of their statutory rights.

Your County Attorney also does:

  • Monitor the County’s compliance with all federal, state and local regulations;
  • Assist other departments in the development of policies, procedures and ordinances,
  • Comprehensive Land Use Plan and personnel policy;
  • Revise the governing documents of Boards and commissions, such as the Public Health Department and Veterans’ Affairs Commission;
  • Prepare documents for land transfers from the County;
  • Assist in personnel issues, such as employment contracts, workers compensation, hiring decisions and termination issues;
  • Conduct training for officials and employees, particularly on the topics of Open Meetings, Conflicts of Interest, gift law, public records, HIPAA;
  • Prepare reference materials and training for the Sheriff’s Office and Jail; and
  • Develop a Bad Check Policy to curtail merchant losses from bad checks.

Your County Attorney cannot:

  • Give legal advice to or represent private groups or persons;
  • File lawsuits for private persons or defend them against lawsuits, including actions for dissolution of marriage, custody, bankruptcy;
  • Prepare wills, deeds or other legal documents for private individuals; or
  • Advise a private group or person if they have a valid civil claim.